What is COR?
The Life COR project (Waste Objective Campaign) of the Àrea Metropolitana de Barcelona (AMB) (Barcelona Metropolitan Area) is a project cofunded by the European Comission through the financial Instrument Life+, included in the programme's Information & Communication area.
The Life COR project is the main communication instrument of the Metropolitan Programme of Municipal Waste Management 2009-2016 (PMGRM) and therefore, shares its objectives:
- Reduction of waste generation by preventive and reuse actions.
- Achievement of the maximum material use of the resources contained in waste, by enhancing the systems of selective collection.
- Recovery of the remaining fraction (both material and energy recovery).
The project pursues disseminating the new Waste Framework Directive and its goal: the European Recycling Society. But mainly, we want to encourage citizens to modify their habits and incorporate correct domestic waste management (separation of the different fractions) in their daily routine, shared by all members of the family unit.
The main actions we carry out are:
- Communication campaign 2.0: El Moviment R.
- Visits to waste treatment and recovery plants.
- Supporting campaign to encourage local entities in the reduction and proper waste management.
Increasing the segregated collection rate of the different municipal waste fractions by 8 points (in 2007 the selective collection amounted to 31.36% of the generated waste. By 2012, when the Life COR project ends, the goal is to reach the 40%).
Increasing its recovery up to 40% (in 2007 the selective collection and the treatment plants allowed treating the 52.20% of the generated waste. By 2012 the goal is to treat the 90% of the generated waste).
The Life COR project will be developed over 36 months -from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st, 2012 - with a budget of € 1,612,428, 50% co-financed by the European Union.
Duration and Budget: